Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Vacation anyone???

Looking outside, snow & ice covering all my plants and flowers....
and thinking
I rader be on vacation, with a lot of sun good food and a lot to see.
The first Country I think about is Italy (of course) and then Europe.
It is like going back in time, unplug myself from everything.
Enjoy an " aperitivo " and looking at the Colosseo or the sunset.
and after that decide were to go the next day.
My vacation plan are always with:
no schedule, I decide were to go as I please, usually I reach the first main big city and in this case can be Milan or Rome.
After living the airport I go straight to the train station and then the adventure start.
One time I took the local train from Rome to Termoli. Usually is a 3 hours ride, but that time it was 6 hours.
I was tired from the flight, but as soon I was on the local train I started to be like a kid in a candy store.
So many think to see and I always get a window seat.

this picture was taken from the train.

But if you are planning a vacation in Italy now or in the future you can always check the list:
SUGGESTED READING ON ITALY
VENICE:
A Thousand Days in Venice – Marlena de Blasi
A Venetian Affair - Andrea Di Robilant
In the Company of the Courtesan – Sarah Dunant
Venetian Stories – Jane Turner Rylands
The City of Falling Angels - John Berendt (non fiction)
The World of Venice – Jan Morris (non fiction)
MISC:
A Thread of Grace – Maria Russell (WWII Resistance)
A Bell for Adano – John Hersey (WWII Sicily)
The Agony & the Ecstasy – Irving Stone (Michelangelo & Sistine Chapel,
based on fact)
The Birth of Venus – Sarah Dunant
A Valley in Italy – Lisa St. Aubin de Teran - Tuscany
Italian Neighbors – Tim Parks (Northern Italy)
The Name of the Rose – Umberto Eco
A Farewell to Arms – Ernest Hemingway
NON FICTION:
Italy for Dummies – Bruce Murphy and Alessandra de Rosa
Italy, A Short History – Harry Hearder
Italian Days – Barbara Grizzuti Harrison
La Bella Figura – Beppe Severgnini
Culture Shock! Italy – Alessandro Falassi
That Fine Italian Hand – Paul Hoffman
Dances with Luigi - Paul Paolicelli (Southern Italy)
Under the Tuscan Sun – Frances Mayes
When in Rome – Robert Hutchinson
MOVIES:Summertime (Katherine Hepburn) – Venice
Life is Beautiful
Ciao Professore!
Enchanted April
Cinema Paradiso
Il Postino
Roman Holiday
A Farewell to Arms
Big Night (Italian Americans)
Night of the Falling Stars
The Agony & the Ecstacy
Dangerous Beauty (Venice)
Visions of Italy (PBS 2-disc)
- Arial photography, northern
& southern Italy & Sicily

Until then,
let me go, I have a movie to watch.
Under the Tuscan Sun always make me happy.

Ciao e arrivederci.

Tea

    
    

No comments: